WELCOME

I have started this blog so friends, family and all of mankind can enjoy my passion for all of the things that make me happy ... mostly food!

I am always trying new recipes and I enjoy nothing more than cooking wholesome, healthy food and want to share my own recipes, and other favourites, so that you can enjoy them too.

I like to give my family a preservative and additive free diet, free from any processed foods. I am lucky enough to live in an area where organic and locally grown fruit and vegetables are always available from our local co-op, local green grocers and farms.

Live, laugh, love, eat.

xo

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Meatballs or Albondigas if you like...

It may not be the prettiest dish, but they are fast to prepare and so good to eat!

I love them served with a handful of fresh baby spinach or you can have veggies, rice or pasta.

It's also a great way of hiding vegetables, if your kids are fussy!  There are hidden vegetables in both the meatballs and the sauce.

This recipe makes about 24 small meat balls, which fit in my large deep frypan perfectly.  For a larger batch just increase the ingredients.


MEATBALLS
400g premium beef mince
1/2 red onion very finely diced
2 small finely grated carrots
1 small zucchini finely grated
1 slice of bread crumbed or a handful of bread crumbs
1 egg
salt & pepper

SAUCE
Olive oil
1/2 red onion
1 garlic clove mashed
2 samll finely grated carrots
1 samll finely diced grated
1 bottle tomato passata
1/2C water or stock
2 bay leaves
salt & pepper to taste

METHOD
Mix all the meatball ingredients in a bowl with your clean hands, and put in fridge while you make the sauce.

Lightly heat a small amount of olive oil in your non-stick pan
Cook onion, carrot, garlic and zucchini for a few minutes, add tomato passata and 1/2 cup of water
A dash of salt & pepper & two bay leaves
Cook for a few minutes until well heated and starting to bubble.

Turn the heat down and let it simmer while you roll your little meatballs and place them in the sauce.
Cook over low heat until they are cooked through.  Turn of heat and put on lid to keep warm.

These meatballs are very tender.  If you prefer firm meatballs, feel free to brown them before you add them to your sauce.

You could also spice up the sauce with chilli, or add parsely or marjoram ... whatever takes your fancy or entices you on the day.

Bon apetit!  I am off to enjoy a late lunch while babe is having a siesta....

1 comment:

  1. I hope everything is well for you. I love hearing your recipes and can't wait til you post more :)
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete