WELCOME

I have started this blog so friends, family and all of mankind can enjoy my passion for all of the things that make me happy ... mostly food!

I am always trying new recipes and I enjoy nothing more than cooking wholesome, healthy food and want to share my own recipes, and other favourites, so that you can enjoy them too.

I like to give my family a preservative and additive free diet, free from any processed foods. I am lucky enough to live in an area where organic and locally grown fruit and vegetables are always available from our local co-op, local green grocers and farms.

Live, laugh, love, eat.

xo

Friday, November 4, 2011

the humble onion ... a natural earache remedy


In our house, we thankfully haven't had too many earache experiences, however, when we have we've used onion juice in the ear to clear the inflammation and act as a natural antibiotic...  it does hurt momentarily, but it clears it up so very fast!

We had a restless night a couple of months back with my little 2 year old,  Eli.  Just before dinner  he said "Mummy I not very happy, my ear hurts", with his gorgeous little red feverish cheeks ... he really wasn't happy at all.

I warmed a quarter of an onion (red,white or brown are fine) and squeezed a tiny amount of juice into a syringe and squeezed it into his ear.. It took about half an hour of cuddles, and Bindi the Jungle Girl,to settle him down ... it does hurt a little bit when you do it (quite a bit really, but it settles down fast), but it is so very worth it!

After about half an hour of restless cuddles and sadness, he settled down  I knew he was going to be fine when he asked for some manuka honey and he ate some pear and blueberries and a big glass of oat milk followed by water.

He didn't settle properly until midnight, and had a fever all night.  He slept quite soundly until 6am and woke this morning with nothing more than a runny nose. 

A trip to our wonderfully amazing chiropractor to help with the healing process, who confirmed his ear is still red and in need of more onion juice over the next couple of days .. and hopefully the end of the ear infection.

For the next few days, he requested some onion juice in his ear, as even he is aware of the wonderful benefits!

And, no need for a doctor, panadol or antibiotics .. everybody is happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment