WELCOME

I have started this blog so friends, family and all of mankind can enjoy my passion for all of the things that make me happy ... mostly food!

I am always trying new recipes and I enjoy nothing more than cooking wholesome, healthy food and want to share my own recipes, and other favourites, so that you can enjoy them too.

I like to give my family a preservative and additive free diet, free from any processed foods. I am lucky enough to live in an area where organic and locally grown fruit and vegetables are always available from our local co-op, local green grocers and farms.

Live, laugh, love, eat.

xo

Thursday, May 5, 2011

Olives ... peace and happiness

Olives are a symbol or peace and happiness in the Mediterranean.... and I know that they certainly make me happy when I'm popping them in my mouth.  I love them!


You either love them or hate them... but it's safe to say, if you give me an olive, simply marinated, stuffed, baked, smoked, in a pasta or tagine dish, or any other way, I will enjoy it!

Olives are delicious and they also have many health benefits.  We all know that olive oil is good for us, but for some reason olives seem to get overlooked as having health benefits, when really they are a very potent fruit, high in fat.. but good healthy monounsaturated fat!  They are also an excellent source of fibre.

They are very rich in Iron, Copper and Vitamin E which helps to lower the risk of damage and inflamation to our cells.  They also help to reduce the risk of heart disease, colon cancer, the severity of osteo and rheumatoid arthritis and last but not least, hot flushes in women going through menapause.

So, next time you are enjoying a nice little mezze plate with olives and a glass of vino, sit back and think about the positive effects they are going to have on your body... and enjoy every little ball of happiness!

No comments:

Post a Comment